Monday, February 22, 2010

Fleeced again






Surely spring is near. We keep saying that, nearly every day now, and I know we are not alone. But now we have taken action! The ewes are sheared - let the lambing begin.
Shearing day has always been big. But again this year, just a little bit more exciting than usual. The girls were looking a bit puffed up in their suits, and we werent sure if the increase in size since we put them on in Oct was due to the wool, or lamb belly. Turns out, its both.
It was encouraging to note that both new bucks must be good. Which means there is a possibility of some colored lambs, and hopefully more numbers than last year. And the day passed without major incident this year - only some words and what are usually idle threats to a few individuals. And once when I had a brief moment of panic. Don was working on a robust belly, when he shouted, and straightened for a moment. I was glad I shouted back 'What?" before I ran. "I've been kicked," he repeated. "By a lamb."
That's not what I heard the first time. I was already thinking "Where did I put that needle...."
The investment in suits was well worth it. The fleeces are lovely and clean. And the Coopworth was especially impressive. At least 5 in, and only 8 months growth. And only one small hole in the suits. I'd be happy to endorse them for Rocky any day. Now for visitors and brisk sales. So we can buy more suits for next year.
I'm trying to finish up some odd jobs so I can get on with the dyeing. Scarves first, then some sampling of some yarn for a new contact. Just wish it would warm up so I could move the felting back to the sunroom. Stalky has been giving me an evil eye, as I must bother her while working on the dining room table. I am pleased with my recent experiment with birds and butterflies though. Off to town tomorrow for a few missing things.
Oh - and more positive signs - the Christmas decorations are in! Had to pull some of the greenery out of the snow, but was able to walk on the drifts at least. I've heard about some cities with fines for being this late, but I doubt anyone has even noticed it here. I put away all the snowmen too. Don't want to be accused of anything prophetical. But it is supposed to snow again tomorrow.
Now we wait for the sun, and signs we need to begin the ark.

No comments:

Post a Comment