Saturday, July 16, 2011

thank goodness for high clouds

I've been putting off the blog long enough. Waiting for some things to happen while others pass by undocumented is not making the most of time, which is passing way too quickly these days. So, while I don't have any pictures this time, I will catch up on a few things anyway.

It's hot. And going to be that way for several days they say. Remembering stretches of time past when it was hotter is no comfort, although they are many. Most memorable is the summer I sent all 3 kids to camp the same week, and was so looking forward to the promise of a productive week alone to work on innumerable projects. Instead, I spent most of the week in a darkened house with closed blinds, doing nothing that could not be accomplished while lying under the ceiling fan, or with face turned into the wind - of the fan. It was over 100 every day that week. don't know if its been that bad since. So we best not complain, as it's ONLY 92 at the moment. Just wish there wasn't straw to be put in the barn, and hay to unload. But that's life in summer, in Nebraska, on the farm. You either learn to live with it, or die. This afternoons thin layer of high clouds cuts the sun just a bit, and are very welcome.

Things have been busy here. - There I go saying that again. Is it still a reason, or has it become an excuse? Oh well, when its this hot, nothing much matters but if the last person refilled the ice cube tray.

Really though. My persistence paid off, and I was notified that the 'PeeWee's' (see pic previous post) won the Black Sheep Cup for Fiber Arts at the Oregon show! For any who aren't aware, thats a REALLY big deal. The 'cup' is now on its way to me, and I get to 'love it' for a year before I send it back. But, my name on the plaque will stay with it forever. Never did I think when I first learned of the show back when it was started in the '70's that one day my name would be on it. Thats an ego booster, for sure.

The new shipment of sheep suits arrived, and we got the girls dressed before the heat descended. Of course, 24 hours later, a couple had managed to walk out of them, despite the ugly little balls tied at the shoulder to make them smaller. Come on, girls, grow some more wool would ya! They will fit fine in a few weeks. Or months. The little ones we got for the lambs fit fine, so of course they will soon be too small. And re-fitting suits is not a pleasant job for either of us. Make that none of us. But we are convinced that its worth it in the end with all of that nice clean wool.

The garden has been yielding according to the rains. I made the mistake of not checking the zucchini for 48 hours, and we had to haul away the crop with the wagon. Not fit for sale, but the ewes were delighted. Still had tubs full of cucumbers and zucchini for sale at market this week. Don was grumbling while loading them up, thinking many would be brought back home to meet the same fate as the giants. Surprisingly enough, the buyers were still in a frenzy for fresh picked produce, and after giving a few 'bonus' ones to the last 2 buyers, we came home with only 5 deformed cucumbers and a couple zucchini to eat. Of course, we sold a lot of potatoes, herbs, onions, and other stuff as well. Don is now a believer.

Well, I took what few things I had to the quilt center yesterday, so I better get back to the dye and needle. I do enjoy my time felting in the sunroom, under the ceiling fan, and looking out on the roses in bloom, and the cone flowers glowing hot pink against the picket fence, watching the grass and corn grow literally before my eyes. Oh! there's another idea! got to go...

Keep the hose handy for those needing a cool down.

Pictures of the trophy are promised when it gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment